Main Banner

Our History

2012
Connexus commemorates its 75th anniversary. It was 1937 when a group of Anoka County residents formed our cooperative and brought electricity to the north metro area.

2006
Connexus reaches significant milestone when our employees record one million hours without a lost-time accident.

2004
For the first time, Connexus takes part in the J.D. Power customer satisfaction survey of electric utilities and scores in the top ten.

2002
Connexus plays a major role in bringing the Amber Alert program to Minnesota. Cash Back program is introduced.

2001
Connexus becomes the first electric cooperative in Minnesota to reach the 100,000-customer mark.

1998
Anoka Electric Cooperative becomes Connexus Energy. Our Service Guarantees are introduced.

1997
We move our operations from Anoka to a new building in Ramsey. For the first time in our history, all of our operations are concentrated on one site.

1987
We celebrate a milestone - our 50th anniversary.

1960's
To show the advantages of using electricity, a home economist provides customers with tips on small appliance care, cooking, and laundering. This is all done in a demonstration kitchen set up at our facility.

Mid 1950's
Population growth from Minneapolis and St. Paul starts spreading into the northern suburbs. Today, suburban development in the north metro continues at a rapid pace.

1954
The cooperative achieves its original goal of bringing electricity to the farmers of north central Minnesota.

1953
The cooperative finds permanent headquarters in Anoka, which served as the general office complex for the next 44 years.

1937
Anoka County Cooperative Light and Power Association is formed. After a year, the cooperative has more than 1,100 members.

1935
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt sets up the Rural Electrification Administration (REA). REA's mission was to bring electricity to more than 6 million farms that had no electric power. At the time, that was nearly 90% of all the farms in the United States.